Short Version: 1. Post-partum depression act, please read. 2. Maternity clothes discussion. 3. Baby kicks. 4. Warning of impending absense due to visitors.

First, for the Americans: this about post-partum depression legislation (via Rachel, who provides info on post-partum depression and infertility).

--

"I'm busting out of my maternity jeans," I announced the other day.

"Too much belly?"

"I'm busting out around the thighs."

"Oh... ah... er..." Mr Bea trailed off, looking panicked.

"It's probably all muscle," I hinted.

"Absolutely!" he agreed, with relief. "Bound to build up the leg muscles with all that extra weight you're carrying." He paused and looked at me. "I've stuffed that one up, haven't I?"

At nearly forty weeks, especially after infertility, I am disinclined to rush out and buy more maternity clothes. So it's on, people: the race against time and fabric.

--

The other night, I was lying on my side on the beanbag when The Foetus gave a nice, solid kick. And I heard the beans go "shush". All of a sudden, it felt like he didn't just exist inside my own body, but as part of the world. That little shush somehow made him a good bit more real.

--

My parents-in-law are arriving tomorrow. If I drop off the face of the earth, try not to read too much into it.


19 Comments

ColourYourWorld said...

Seems like the Foetus is testing out the beanbag. Got enough beans in there ?

All the best with in-laws.

m said...

I have to giggle thinking of you wrapped in an old blanket because you went all Hulk on your jeans and busted out.....

Good luck with the il's - don't fall too far because we'll miss you!

x

Rachel Inbar said...

Thanks for the links :-)

I think Mr. Bea's comment is endearing - he was definitely trying to say the right thing :-) And to understand the mistake, well... that's something to appreciate.

In-laws? I hope they're not like mine... Then again, it would be hard to believe that any are as annoying as mine.

Jackie said...

I stopped wearing my maternity jeans when the weather started getting warm here...oh, and when I started maternity leave. I've been almost living in pajamas since then. LOVE IT.
I kept trying to get Oscar to lie next to my belly when baby was active. It seemed funny to have the baby affect the world outside from within. Oh well, she'll be able to terrorize him soon enough.

Samantha said...

Maybe it is pajama time indeed! Enjoy the visit with your in-laws.

Kir said...

Wow, that kick sounds exciting. It's getting so close. :)

good luck with the in-laws, check in with us Ok?

Anonymous said...

One more vote for pajama bottoms. Hope the in-laws' visit is a good diversion.

BigP's Heather said...

At least he gave it a good shot...

Jess said...

At the end nothing fit me, either. Water. A lot of it is water. Don't panic.

Though I will caution you this...is does all take a couple to come off. But you're such a skinny minnie (har, I know you'll snort to hear that now!) that I'm sure it'll come right off.

MYSELF, I am still rubber banding some of my jeans. haha

I hope it's soon for you and that you don't have to go the blanket route!

Hooray for the Foetus getting more and more real! GO FOETUS!

GLouise said...

wow, you are so close!
Have fun with the in-laws! :-)

SarahSews said...

Isn't it amazing when the thing within manages to make their presence felt on the outside world? It shocked me the first time it happened and definitely made it feel like he is his own person and i'm just his temporary home.

Aurelia said...

Toodles,

Just update once a day, saying still pregnant, or in labour, or baby is here.

Otherwise, I will die of curiousity.

MrsSpock said...

I am now too big for all but the Farmer Brown's Heinous Maternity Overalls, an XL pair of jeans that need holding up with a Bel.la Band, and another pair of jeans in which my abdomen has torn a hole in the elastic belly part. I, too, think this is a little late in the game to be buying more clothes. Another 2 weeks and I may be forced to grocery shop in my nightgown wearing my husband's bedroom slippers...

Anonymous said...

I hope your in-laws aren't like mine. If so, I have an extra room.

ms. c said...

OMG- I feel like I've dropped off the earth.. I didn't realize you were so close to 40 weeks. Love the beanbag anecdote.
Can't wait for the big day. Sending you lots of love.

Lut C. said...

Poor Mr. Bea, that was a trick question.


I hope the visit with your in-laws is pleasant.

Lollipop Goldstein said...

Hope you're having a good visit.

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

It's all fluid in your legs, which will be gone within minutes of the Foetus's birth. I just know it.

XOXO

Pamela T. said...

I'm imagining that this "shush" will be the first of many, many more to come! ;-)

Enjoy your visit and time offline...

Powered by Blogger.